Tuesday, June 12, 2007

You are who you are!

I have found, deep within myself, a need to be accepted by others. Sometimes that is a good thing and sometimes it can be a real hindrance in your life. It is always good to evaluate our relationships. Are they healthy? Are they meaningful? Is the person making a spiritual impact in your life? Are you making one in theirs? Is the relationship shallow? One of the questions I ask myself is, "What is this relationship providing for me that is unhealthy?" Personally, I tend to set up my relationships in a way that no matter what, I am accepted. I can easily be caught in a performance trap. Saying the right thing and being the right thing to whoever I need to be accepted by at the time. I have to work really hard to make sure I am striving to please God and not others. If people do not accept you, it is not your responsibility to convince them of your self worth. You are valuable and unique because you are created by God not because you are maintaining an image to other people that is not the real you. If we need others to provide for us what God can provide, our relationships have been elevated to an idol and that is not healthy. We are who we are because of who God is and that is OK. I have come to a place in my life where I can truly say that my relationships are more healthy than they have ever been. If others don't recognize God at work in your life, love them and pray for them but NEVER apologize for who you are!

No comments: